|Version 3 (modified by 12 years ago) ( diff ),|
A Sea Change for Trac
"Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are corals made,
Those are pearls that were his eyes,
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea change,
into something rich and strange,
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell,
Hark! now I hear them, ding-dong, bell."
Ariel, from William Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
This page and the related SeaChange/WhatUsersWant are for collecting information about problems with the Trac community, in order to fix them. By community we mean Trac administrators/plugin developers, end users and core developers.
Also, it could be worth looking at other BugTrackingSystem, and see what the users can expect from other competitor systems. Note that since the success of Trac integration model (well, CvsTrac's model actually), most of the other systems are evolving in this direction, most notably by having an integrated wiki and/or source code browser.
High Level Observations
These are observations only, no judgement is implied. We're just trying to collect data.
- Trac core development has stagnated to a certain degree.
- A lot of the current core developers do not or cannot commit a lot of time to the project.
- Frequently requested features do not get implemented. eg. multi-project support.
- Release cycle is way too slow.
- Historically, there's effectively zero chance of a plugin getting into the core.
WebAdmin being the exception confirming the rule? :-) — cboos
- Features that users think should be "core" are not (this is very subjective).