SMTP - Errors on sending mails since second project
|Reported by:||anonymous||Owned by:|
|Severity:||normal||Keywords:||SMTP, multiple projects|
Description (last modified by )
I get the error after modifying a ticket or after creation of a user with the AccountManagerPlugin that the SMTP Connection unexpectedly was closed.
I will try to give you guys as many info that I can give.
I have this issue since I backed up a project to a backup folder and coppied this backuped folder as a new project folder so that I now have 2 projects. (Because the main structures of the wiki and so on fits very well into the other project - so I thought only change the required values)
Than I executed
tracd --port 8000 ./project1 ./project2
On the site I then had a info that I should run
trac-admin /<pathTo>/project2 upgrade.
I did that and than got the message that it would be better to upgrade the wiki content to… did it, too.
Than I reconfigured the trac.ini of project2 like the one of project1 but modifyied some values as I need them for project2 of course (for example [project] settings and some other but not the SMTP settings except that I changed
smtp_always_bcc to other email adresses).
I should say that before having project2 the notifications worked with my notification settings but since the second project none of the 2 projects have working notifications.
admit_domains = always_notify_owner = true always_notify_reporter = false always_notify_updater = true ambiguous_char_width = single batch_subject_template = $prefix Batch modify: $tickets_descr email_sender = SmtpEmailSender ignore_domains = mime_encoding = none sendmail_path = sendmail smtp_always_bcc = email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org smtp_always_cc = smtp_default_domain = smtp_enabled = true smtp_from = projects@MyDomain.de smtp_from_author = false smtp_from_name = ProjectName2 smtp_password = examplePW smtp_port = 587 smtp_replyto = projects@myDomain.de smtp_server = smtp.live.com smtp_subject_prefix = __default__ smtp_user = projects@myDomain.de ticket_subject_template = $prefix #$ticket.id: $summary use_public_cc = false use_short_addr = false use_tls = true
I don't think that the AccountManagerPlugin has to do something with it because if I turn of the notification settings of the plugin I can create users successfuly again but the ticket modify notifications are still in problem than…