|Version 2 (modified by 13 years ago) ( diff ),|
Trac and Performance
In the past, Trac garnered a reputation of being a fast web application. This was mainly due to its use of the ClearSilver template engine. Starting with version 0.11, Trac migrated to Genshi, another template engine, much more flexible and powerful in many ways, but also much slower and memory hungry. As the memory usage seems now mostly OK (#6614), there are still many concerns over the performance.
However Genshi is not the only reason for the perceived slowdown, there are several other factors which have to be taken into account when analyzing performance:
- the increased usage of plugins, each of them can add to the load in subtle ways
- the new security model of TracFineGrainedPermissions
- the conditions in which Trac is run (web front-end)
- the specific configuration settings of Trac used
- various bugs that might be triggered by any of the above!
In this page we'll try to collect all the various pieces of information related to performance, in order to compile a "checklist" that can be followed when trying to troubleshoot a performance problem, or simply when one wants to get a better performance out of his Trac installation.
See also: TracDev/Performance