|Version 42 (modified by 11 years ago) ( diff ),|
Version Control System
Currently, Trac is tightly integrated with Subversion.
Starting from 0.12 release, a given TracEnvironment can address multiple Subversion repository. Also, nothing prevents you from setting up multiple Trac Environments on top of the same Subversion repository. This can be handy to manage separately different products which share the same code repository.
Other Versioning Systems
As mentioned in the TracHistory, Trac was inspired by CVSTrac, a project management and issue tracking system which uses CVS as its versioning system backend (and like Trac, it uses SQLite as its DatabaseBackend, which isn't surprising considering the fact that the author of CVSTrac is also the author of SQLite) (1).
The versioning systems known to work with Trac are:
- Subversion, which is supported by Trac out of the box, provided you have Subversion and its Python bindings installed (see TracSubversion)
- VisualSVN integrates Subversion for Windows users (see TracOnWindows)
- Darcs, with Trac+Darcs (see DarcsBackend, and also #638)
- Bazaar, also with Trac+Darcs since it also has support for Bazaar. Contrary to Darcs support, this only works for 0.9, since the original author of Bazaar support, Johan Rydberg, is not working on this any more. (see BzrngBackend) An attempt to support ≥0.10 versions is available at https://launchpad.net/trac-bzr
- Mercurial, as a plugin for Trac (see TracMercurial)
- Perforce, as a plugin for Trac (see PerforcePlugin), (see also ticket #257)
- Monotone, as a plugin for Trac, see TracMTN (beta), (see also #1492)
- Git, as a plugin for Trac, see GitPlugin (alpha)
- If you're using something else, you're on your own…
…but it should be much easier now to add support for another backend,
as of Trac 0.10 (but this is already available in the
Among other things, Subversion is not a strict requirement anymore,
and there's support for pluggable backends (
see TracMercurial for an example).
In addition, there has been interest in the following systems:
- #978: SVK support (as mentioned in that ticket, SVK is actually already supported in some way)
- #893: Arch support
- #2037: ClearCase support
- #2643: CVS support
- Another Git plugin developed for/by OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
- TBD: darcs-git support for darcs-git backend might also be useful.
It should be mentioned that CVSTrac also aims to support more SCM backends, SVN and git being worked on.