|Version 5 (modified by 7 years ago) ( diff ),|
Document management system
Note: This page is under development.
Trac is perfect as a document management system when you treat documents as tasks. It is perfect for high volume fax incoming and processing. In one particular case 661,124 documents/tickets have been processed and the set up still works in production environments.
The key features that we needed:
- assign tickets and transfer them between people.
- view attachments easily, write comments, and index.
- create your own "type" aka "milestone": incoming, other, changes, cancellations, renewals.
- load and create tickets automatically via xml-rpc.
- add your own custom fields "tracking number".
- set up a search on main page by using the query to build multiple links tracking #, "my tickets", "incoming tickets", new, not assigned change tickets.
- batch assign tickets to an individual (part of Trac core).
- move tickets to another Trac to a different department through TicketMoverPlugin.
We average ~600 incoming tickets a day. The sender of the message is what populates the "Reported by" field automatically. The message can be either an email or a fax. In the former case the plugin EmailtoTracScript is used to direct it to the correct "milestone".
If you think of your problems as "tasks" then Trac is suitable for use as a Document Management System.